News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

4A Bell vs Cates semis 170

Tapout · 2965

Offline Tapout

on: February 23, 2020, 12:04:58 PM
Pre state tourney post I highlighted underclassman that could make some noise. One I mentioned was sophomore Devon Bell from Laney. Who flew under the radar all season but that will not be the case from this point as he teched his first two opponents and wrestled defending state champ and one of the top P4P wrestlers in the state Donald Cates in the semis. Bell gave Cates the toughest challenge he faced all year. Bell can wrestle with anyone on the mat, crazy hips and can wrestle out of any position, Cates on the other hand is explosive and can shoot from the next zip code. A lot of tactics went on in the 6 minutes of this match while each wrestler knew their opponents strength and weakness. I believe one of the best wrestling match ups of the tourney especially the ever changing tactics within the match that you usually do not see in a high school level match. Cates winning a tough battle by the score of 10-6 and going on to win his second state title . Bell went on to finish a solid 3rd by defeating another sophomore Carson Floyd in the consolation finals with a major decision 12-2. After reviewing brackets outside of the Cates match Bell’s total match score was 50-3, I would say that is making noise as a sophomore.

Another underclassman mentioned in earlier post Jayden Doebeck from Pinecrest. Indeed Doebeck made some noise as a freshman making it to the finals and finishing as state runner up.

Vann from Cary a sophomore at 220 making it to the finals and only dropping a 6-5 decision. Topping off a very impressive sophomore season with a 47-2 record.
Crazy that these underclassman are not only competitive in the upper weight classes but are legit title contenders.

Underclassman coming in and instantly in the mix for state titles speaks volumes of their commitment but also says that club wrestling is changing our sport and producing quality wrestlers.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:52:26 AM by Tapout »

Offline psu9wrestler

• Cael Sanderson
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 08:52:31 PM
I was very surprised at the physical toughness of Bell.  If you are hanging with Cates and you are a sophomore, there are some big things going to happen in Bell's future.

Offline Tapout

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 09:05:55 PM
Agree, Bell is very physical, surprisingly so for a sophomore, yes big things to come for Bell.

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:20 AM
Cates capitalized on the expert assistance of someone standing nearby, Kendall Nelson, who let him know his way to victory was going to be on his feet otherwise this thread may be more about a huge win for Bell instead.

Offline Tapout

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:10:22 AM
Coach Atwood, agree Cates needed  to keep it on his feet. Bell was winning the mat wrestling no matter if Bell started on top or bottom. I was thinking Bell should of took top or bottom after first period when score was 2-2, Bell’s corner deferred which gave Cates the chance to keep it in his dominant position which was on his feet, would of been interesting if the Bell corner forced Cates to wrestle on the mat. That is the tactics I spoke of a lot of savvy tactics going on in this match that most do not understand at the HS level. Either way both Bell and Cates have a bright future.

Offline Tapout

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 06:47:40 PM
With Bell’s state tourney performance, what are the chances NC could have a sophomore national champ? Does anyone know if Bell is doing the NHSCA sophomore nationals next month at Va Beach?

Offline NC Giants

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:19:12 AM
Yes - This was a fun and exciting match - also not the first time they wrestled. Earlier in the season Cates utilized a tilt to beat Bell 14-4. Bell is a very good wrestler and good at rolls which could lead to reversals. Cates was wrestling with the mindset of getting MOW but with a roller it was not worth the risk of locking in the cradle for a pin on every takedown. Cates did not need to keep it on the feet and was not threatened either on top or bottom. Cates just wanted to score points and it was easier to score points with takedowns. The 2 for 1 exchange (takedown/cut) strategy was relayed from the stands to K. Nelson by Cates’ father who was closely monitoring the match and communicating with K. Nelson.

The Final Score of 10-6 can be misleading. Below is a breakdown of the scoring.

1st Period. (End score 2-2)
•   Cates Takedown (2)
•   Bell Reversal (2)

2nd period. Bell Defers. Cates chooses neutral. (End score 6-4)
•   Cates Takedown (2)
•   Bell cut for escape (1)
•   Cates Takedown (2)

3rd period. Bell chooses bottom (Final score 10-6)
•   Cates Takedown (2)
•   Cates Takedown (2)

Agreed! Both Bell and Cates have a bright future!

Offline Tapout

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
NC Giants agree Cates is a better wrestler at this point in their career but to say Cates was not threaten on top or bottom I have to disagree. That is exactly why Cates wanted to keep it on their feet because he was only able to score 2 points in the first period because Bell is dangerous on the mat as you stated he is a roller and very unpredictable, I mean score was just 8-6 with 12 second left in the match.  Bell reversed him in first and rode him the rest of the period. Bell reversed him twice their first match up, I think it was obvious as stated earlier Cates route to victory was on their feet. If Cates did not feel threaten on the mat he would of just wrestled the match just like he did in the finals. Bell is a hammer on top and the Cates corner knew that, so they went to their dominate position which is another reason Cates is such a tough out, he is athletic explosive and a intelligent wrestler that does not make mistakes. I agree not worth the chance of locking up the cradle going for the pin. Cates mind framed changed I believe at the end of the 2nd about locking up that cradle because as stated Bell is a roller and a scrambler and as Cates looked like he had the cradle locked  up Bell scramble his way out of it and almost secured a TD as the time expired. Bell’s top game is top notch for a sophomore or any wrestler, case in point only gave up 3 points in his other 4 matches total score 50-3. I thought it was one of the best matches of the tourney because of the top level wrestling from both competitors. Both holding nothing back and Bell made it a match because he was not intimidated by Cates like most are. Both wrestlers have a bright future and maybe someday see this match up again at the next level.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:37:31 PM by Tapout »