News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Regional Entry Process

Coach Carter · 4529

Offline Coach Carter

on: February 02, 2020, 11:01:43 PM
Is it just me or is the Regional Entry Process a train wreck?  Not sure why we don't use a Matrix?  Not sure why we rank using inflated records?  Not sure why we think it's a good idea to penalize kids with losses because they don't have 15 matches?   

I feel like I'm entering the local middle school tournament.

Offline tompt

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 07:55:56 AM
NC needs to go back to a regional qualifier tournament. The current conference tournament could be adjusted and used as the qualifier. I don't know any other state who does the way we do here.

Offline Tapout

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 11:12:55 AM
Talk about inflated records, I seen some with over 40 wins and have only wrestled one or two
wrestlers that have a rating of in the 90’s on rankwrestlers.
I mean over 40 wins with your best 3 being in the 60’s or 70’s. This format promotes coaches to avoid competition, not good for the athlete and not good for overall wrestling in our state.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:17:59 AM by Tapout »

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:20:57 AM
Instead of going to a Sectional, then Regional and then to the State Tournament, why not expand the Regionals at the 2A, 3A and 4A level from 4 to 8 sites.  For the 1A go to 4 sites for their Regionals.  Advance 4 placers from each Regional to the State Tournament for the 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A classifications.

That would give you a 16 man bracket for the 1A and a 32 man bracket for the 2A, 3A and 4A.  Wrestle 2 rounds on Thursday, with competition starting at 12 noon.  You then could do true seeding for the wrestlers, or at least the top half of the bracket.

And only wrestle back to 4 places in each classification and awarding medals to each. 

You could still start the finals on Saturday at 5pm.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:24:14 AM by Longdayrunner »

Offline CoachRees

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:15 AM
Or, we do like other states do and actually have a TRUE seeding meeting with the coaches.    You can not tell me that we, as coaches, wouldn't get it right most of the time.

In PA, we would have a coaches seeding meeting on the Wednesday before sectionals (or districts).   All coaches would be present.   They would open up the weight class and ask for anyone who wanted the #1 seed.   If multiple athletes were put up, there would be a discussion and the entire room would vote.   They then would go to the #2 seed and same thing. 

There is literally a kid in the 2A east who is getting into regionals with 11 wins.   All 11 wins are by forfeit.    He has LOST every match wrestled this year.    That shouldn't happen.

It also would fix the most glaring issue of how to deal with athletes who are injured and don't have the minimum number of matches.    Would it be perfect?  No, but it would solve al ot of these problems.    I don't think the NCHSAA would ever go for something like that though because then it's not a black and white issue.

Offline Coach Smith

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:51:01 PM
If you are in the regional tournament, you have a chance to make the state tournament.  We could talk about seeds until we are blue in the face.  In a double elimination tournament, all you have to do is place top 4 and you move on to Greensboro.  Seems pretty simple.  Let the wrestling speak for itself.

Offline jobelk

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 09:42:17 AM
DO you feel then that everyone should get into regionals and instead of just top 16?  I understand in 4A and 1A this usually is not a problem but in 2A and 3A there are between 26-29 schools in each region.  I have seen it before where a .700 win percentage got the 15 seed. 

Jamie Belk

Piedmont Wrestling

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 12:08:31 PM
Yes, the Regionals should include all schools having an entry where they are assigned.