News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Sometimes you have to scratch your head and say "wwwhhhaaattt"

Longdayrunner · 2431

Offline Longdayrunner

The NCHSAA makes a ruling:

High school cheerleaders punished for supporting Trump

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/todd-starnes-high-school-cheerleaders-punished-for-supporting-trump

Trump Derangement Syndrome has infected the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.

As I write in my new book, “Culture Jihad: How to Stop the Left from Killing a Nation,” Trump Derangement Syndrome afflicts mostly liberals and renders them zombie-like in a flop sweat.

On Aug. 30 some cheerleaders at North Stanly High School in New London, N.C., posted for a pre-game photo of themselves holding a banner that read, “Trump 2020 Make America Great Again.”
The Stanly News & Press reported that it was “American Night” at the football game and students were encouraged to wear red, white and blue.

The newspaper reports that the photo was posted on social media and “caused people to feel uncomfortable.”

Apparently, there are some perpetually offended snowflakes who live in that part of North Carolina.

It’s not quite clear who complained about that banner, but all you-know-what broke out – leading to a school district investigation as well as a NCHSAA investigation.

“Stanly County Schools never makes political campaign endorsements,” the school district said in a statement on its website. “These policies ensure that all students, staff and visitors are able to attend school events in an environment that promotes students and not a particular political viewpoint.”

The Stanly News & Press reports the cheerleaders have been placed on probation for the remainder of the season as a result of the pro-Trump banner.

“One of the rules we have is that every contest should be conducted in a wholesome, athletic environment,” North Carolina High School Athletic Association Commissioner Que Tucker told the newspaper. “We take that to mean that it’s in an environment where good sportsmanship is shown, where people feel safe … that respect for all people participating is being shown.”

The newspaper reports that “due to the fact the incident caused concern for many and helped create a negative athletic environment, according to Tucker, the NCHSAA decided to reprimand the cheerleaders by putting them on probation.”

What a load of Grade A politically correct fertilizer.

“Not sure when supporting the acting POTUS became a punishable offense,” one irate resident wrote on Facebook. “Do Americans have freedom of speech anymore? Of course! But only if you are liberal.”
I reached out to the NCHSAA to find out why the cheerleaders were put on probation. I wanted them to show me the rule they allegedly violated. Their media relations team refused my request.

So why do I have a sneaking suspicion that had the kids been waving an anti-Trump banner the school district would’ve turned a blind eye?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:01:30 AM by Longdayrunner »

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:04:21 AM
I agree that the athletic environment should be politically free, however, I also agree that had this been a pro Hillary demonstration, or say a pro Democrat demonstration, there would have been no consequence.  There is an obvious double standard when it comes to this kind of stuff and this is the latest example. People who deny this are intellectually dishonest.   

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:26:39 PM
From the Charlotte Observer:

High school cheerleaders ‘on probation’ after posing with Trump banner, NC district says

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article235145967.html

Cheerleaders at a North Carolina high school were put on probation after a picture of them with a pro-Trump banner during a football game circulated on social media — and some people aren’t happy about it.

The North Carolina High School Athletic Association placed the cheerleading squad at North Stanly High School on probation for the remainder of the season, Stanly County Schools announced Monday.

But the NCHSAA “has not defined the terms of the probation,” and the team is expected to continue cheering, the school district said in a release.

“The focus of Friday night football games should be on our students – the players, cheerleaders, band members – the focus should not be on politics,” officials said. “For this reason, we are hopeful the situation will resolve, and our student athletes can have a successful fall season.”

NCHSAA Commissioner Que Tucker told McClatchy news group in a statement Monday that probation — which can last up to one year — is not a form of punishment.

“It serves as a notice of behavior or action that is against NCHSAA Handbook Policy or contrary to expectations of sportsmanship and proper behavior,” she said.

The NCHSAA can issue subsequent fines or suspensions if those actions continue, Tucker said.

In a photo posted on Facebook Aug. 30, at least seven North Stanly cheerleaders in uniform are seen posing around a banner reading “Trump 2020: Make America Great Again.” The students appear to be on a high school football field with referees in the background.

North Stanly High School is roughly 40 miles east of Charlotte.

Commenters questioned at the time whether such political messages were allowed during a school-sanctioned event.

“Why in the world would the school board allow this to happen,” one person wrote. “I am sad and very disappointed with NS. This is a High School football game, not a political rally. Shame on them.”

The following day, district officials issued a statement confirming the act was not endorsed by the school or its staff.

A student reportedly brought the banner and the photo was taken before the game started, officials said.

Stanly County Board of Education policy bars political advertisements on campus or at school events, according to the statement on Aug. 31 . The district also said it does not make political endorsements.

“This policy does not prohibit students from speaking their minds or engaging in protected First Amendment activities,” district officials said in the release Monday. “Because the cheerleaders were in uniform and were acting as representatives of the school, the display of the sign could be perceived as the school or school system endorsing a political campaign.”

The cheerleaders were not punished by the school or district, but officials have asked them not to display the sign again, the district said.

Residents have taken to social media to share their concerns over the the NCHSAA decision.

Offline vikings24

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 01:27:02 PM
“This policy does not prohibit students from speaking their minds or engaging in protected First Amendment activities,” district officials said in the release Monday. “Because the cheerleaders were in uniform and were acting as representatives of the school, the display of the sign could be perceived as the school or school system endorsing a political campaign.”

As we head into an election year, I would hate to see high school athletes posting political banners for either candidate's party. Perhaps the next school's cheerleaders support a candidate who would like to rescind 2nd Amendments rights and display his/her catchy slogan on a banner. Personally, I hope school sports remain apolitical and we can just enjoy the competition and sportsmanship.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:09:34 PM by vikings24 »