News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Wow! Great State Championships everyone!

Rosewood · 8139

Offline Rosewood

on: February 16, 2019, 11:05:29 PM
Congratulations to all of our newly crowned State Champions.  There is no feeling quite like what you experienced tonight!  To the multi-time State champs! Well done!!

Bill Edmundson
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:57:37 PM by Coach Atwood »

Offline KM

Does anyone know what happened in the 2A 152 finals? I didn't get to attend this year and in the years I did go,I rarely ever saw a DQ.

Offline Bjohnson3196

Basically the CATA kid was pushing Nathan Hull after the whistle like 5 feet out of bound. The CATA kid even push Nathan hull into the CATA coaches hard after the refree whistle blew. The referee had enough of it and just DQ him. But Nathan hull was basically dominating the whole match but so uncalled for. Everyone was booing that kid.

Offline Rosewood

Did anyone get a feel for what happened in the 3A 220 final?
1st Place Match
Michael Smith (Asheboro) 47-2, Sr. over Ray Dixon (Douglas Byrd) 41-3, Jr. (SV-1 3-2)

Looked like Dixon got a takedown at the end of regulation then beginning of SV the ref called the match and awarded 1 point to Smith?  What happened?

Offline ReactionTime

Time expired before the takedown. Originally they said it was a takedown but the assistant ref said time was out before the takedown. They had been warned throughout the match about backing and not circling and each had multiple stalling warnings. Think it was a stall that ended it.

Offline Rosewood

Thanks for that clarification. Pretty bad for a State Title match to be decided by a stalling call in sudden victory.

Offline Bjohnson3196

Can we talk about how bad the officials was at the state tournament?? They was pretty bad at times.....2A 145 state finals Cannon bridges got screwed over by the referee. A escape is loss of control and Cannon definitely didn’t lose control he had a foot. Just hate to see referee take over at critical moments and not let the kids decide it.

Offline MC4VT

Thanks for that clarification. Pretty bad for a State Title match to be decided by a stalling call in sudden victory.

Totally agree.

Offline scramble103

Offline Ironman152

cussed on the mat. point of emphasis this season that refs are supposed to automatically call any swearing a flagrant which removes the person from competition.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

mjaecurry

Basically the CATA kid was pushing Nathan Hull after the whistle like 5 feet out of bound. The CATA kid even push Nathan hull into the CATA coaches hard after the refree whistle blew. The referee had enough of it and just DQ him. But Nathan hull was basically dominating the whole match but so uncalled for. Everyone was booing that kid.

Please allow me to clarify what this misinformed person is spewing... Aiden my son (CATA kid) was given a warning before the match started about his head gear being crossed and was told to fix it or change it (first time in 10yrs of wrestling he was called on it) that is how it started.  Hulls first shot- Aiden jumped away ended up facing him out of bounds- two was awarded then the other ref came over and said no "2" it was 1 point for fleeing the mat instead.  Next shot same thing Aiden jumped away landed facing him out of bound 1 point awarded for fleeing (2nd Technical)

2-0 starting 2nd period 15 sec in Aiden cuts him- 3-0 no other points scored in period. During the second period Aiden took injury time to collect himself.  At the end of second unknowingly took a 2nd injury time which took his ability to choose position in the 3rd; Hull chose neutral.

Aiden absolutely lost his head and pushed Hull into coaches- 2 point Tech violation.  45 sec later go out of bounds Aiden pushes off and is hit with fourth tech violation.  match over!

I make no excuse for Aiden anyone that knows me or him Knows that he is held accountable for his actions. His actions in this match cost him more than most of you reading this will ever understand.   That being said; for someone to come on here and say that he was "dominated" is a gross misrepresentation of the facts!

The final score was 6-0 the only points not awarded by ref was the escape that Aiden gave him, hardly dominating. At the end of the day he is a freshman that is a state runner up at 152 lbs. and I could I could be any prouder.

If anyone would like to see the video, let me know.

Mike Curry

Offline vikings24

Final score was DQ on Curry. It was 6-0 at time of DQ. It was one of the worst displays of the whole weekend.  Disappointing end for a stellar freshman season, think Curry only lost four times. I am sure he will be back!!!

Offline Longdayrunner

The reason you have so many poor calls is the manner in which officials are selected for this event.  There has been a push to bring in younger officials and officials who haven't called in the past to the state tournament.  That push may leave out more capable veteran officials who have the experience and knowledge to handle the competition. 

In a world where your only requirement to officiate is to score 80% on an open book and untimed test, you will have officials in post season events that haven't read nor memorized the rule or case book.  Would you believe that wrestling officials do not go through a written evaluation process?

You can watch tape after tape of this year's matches and last year's matches and you will see a great deal of the obvious not called.  The most glaring would be out of bounds.  If you look at the tapes you will see the officials stopping matches when there was 2 supporting parts within the 28 foot circle.  For most officials stopping the match is the safe call for them, but it takes away from the wrestlers.  What do you think would happen when the NFHS adopts the college inbounds rule?

The selection process for post season events could be improved, but coaches, ADs and fans have to speak up.  Speaking up on this forum will not get it done.

Offline Coach G

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:06:59 AM
I thought this year was one of the better officiated tournaments. Obviously there are some refs that could find something else to do with their time but overall I thought it was better. I just don't like seeing the officials that make it all about them and not the kids. I think we all know one that loves the spot light

Offline Coach_Shelton

Please allow me to clarify what this misinformed person is spewing... Aiden my son (CATA kid) was given a warning before the match started about his head gear being crossed and was told to fix it or change it (first time in 10yrs of wrestling he was called on it) that is how it started.  Hulls first shot- Aiden jumped away ended up facing him out of bounds- two was awarded then the other ref came over and said no "2" it was 1 point for fleeing the mat instead.  Next shot same thing Aiden jumped away landed facing him out of bound 1 point awarded for fleeing (2nd Technical)

2-0 starting 2nd period 15 sec in Aiden cuts him- 3-0 no other points scored in period. During the second period Aiden took injury time to collect himself.  At the end of second unknowingly took a 2nd injury time which took his ability to choose position in the 3rd; Hull chose neutral.

Aiden absolutely lost his head and pushed Hull into coaches- 2 point Tech violation.  45 sec later go out of bounds Aiden pushes off and is hit with fourth tech violation.  match over!

I make no excuse for Aiden anyone that knows me or him Knows that he is held accountable for his actions. His actions in this match cost him more than most of you reading this will ever understand.   That being said; for someone to come on here and say that he was "dominated" is a gross misrepresentation of the facts!

The final score was 6-0 the only points not awarded by ref was the escape that Aiden gave him, hardly dominating. At the end of the day he is a freshman that is a state runner up at 152 lbs. and I could I could be any prouder.

If anyone would like to see the video, let me know.

Mike Curry

I personally would like to see the video. Thanks for the more in depth story of what happened. I think a lot of people were wondering.