News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

If I could change a rule or two

Coach Carey · 8956

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:51 AM
Every idea/suggestion for new rules stated above already exist in the 2018-2019 Rule Book:

1. Rule 5-24 Art 1 - Each wrestler is required to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10 foot circle and wrestle aggressively, regardless of position or the score of the match.

2. Rule 5-24 Art 3 - It is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler
   e. backs off the mat, out of bounds or
   f. pushes or pulls their opponent out of bounds

Points of emphasis
   Stalling page 59 of the Rule Book.

3. Rule 5-14 Art 1 - Any hold/maneuver used in such a way as to endanger life and limb is illegal.  Holds/maneuvers are illegal when a body part is forced beyond the limit of normal range of movement or when unnecessary force is applied to an opponent.

More points for scoring action isn't the answer when there is little to no action on the mat.  If you would review video for most of the matches in NC for wrestlers (as a whole) and put a stop watch on the non scoring action and the fake attempts, you would would find in most cases scoring action as a whole would be about a minute or so.  New rules will not fix that.

Discussions with Officials regarding rules should be before the match and not part of the coach's conference during the match.  The purpose for the coach's conference is to discuss a misapplication of the rule.  Which means, the coach has the responsibility to demonstrate a misapplication has occurred, usually by quoting the rule book.  Falling a misapplication of the rule, coach misconduct shall be called.  Rule 5-5 Art 3.  A clarification of time, score and/or choice etc. is not a coach's conference.

Again, most answers to questions can be answered by "have you read your rule book"?  When the coach states "yes", the next question is "what does it say"?

Offline Fwrogers

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 11:38:41 AM
Not true. a Step out rule from Neutral for a point and back points (1 point for each swipe up to 4 Points) are not in the current rule book. The stalling suggestions yes they are in the rule book (the actual application of them i think is more of the question/suggestion than the rules themselves). These two suggestions would have to be NFHS Rule changes however and not in the power of the NCHSAA to change as far as I know.

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:52:07 PM
If you get an experienced mat official calling by the current rules and interpretations you will get that "step out call", only preceded by a warning. The wording of the stalling rules and current interpretations are there to make that call.

More points for near falls in high school for less control. isn't going to get you all that much more action if any.  If you kids can't break their opponent down and work a pinning combination within 10 to 12 seconds, more point potential isn't the answer. 

Offline tompt

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 09:10:56 AM
If you get an experienced mat official calling by the current rules and interpretations you will get that "step out call", only preceded by a warning. The wording of the stalling rules and current interpretations are there to make that call.

More points for near falls in high school for less control. isn't going to get you all that much more action if any.  If you kids can't break their opponent down and work a pinning combination within 10 to 12 seconds, more point potential isn't the answer.
Not quite, today you can step off the mat without a stall call. With the step out rule there is a point awarded regardless of whether stalling would have been called in that situation or not.

Offline Fwrogers

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 10:39:38 AM
oh i get it. i'm referring to the freestyle step out = 1 point. and the nearfall points I just think would be more fun and add a little extra strategy.

Offline no excuses

Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 10:35:11 PM
I would like to see a point awarded for each out of bounds from standing position. If a wrester stepped out to avoid wrestling the offensive guy gets a point. If the offensive wrestler intentionally pushes the defensive guy out of bounds its a defensive point. But every out of bounds on the feet should be a point for one of the wrestlers. This would keep the action going on the mat without turning it into Sumo wrestling.