News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Freestyle and Greco States

Ry Mitchell · 4697

Offline Ry Mitchell

on: April 13, 2019, 06:30:40 PM
Looking through the freestyle results.....I have believed this for many years.......we need more of our top end wrestlers and programs to buy into Freestyle and Greco.

Offline Ironman152

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:53 PM
Absolutely. Need more kids representing NC at the national level.  NCUSA is doing a lot of really good things.  Just need a participation number increase. 

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline Coach Cox

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 02:59:28 PM
More wrestlers will compete in freestyle and Greco when more coaches get involved.  NCUSA did a phenomenal job of running the freestyle state this year.  Even with some weights that did not have many wrestlers, there were still some hammers there.  My kids are having fun wrestling freestyle to learn some different skills, and the positions translate well to their folkstyle wrestling.

Offline bgrayii

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:44 PM
We have pushed Freestyle and Greco @ Union Pines.  Kids are doing well and having fun with it. 

Offline Ironman152

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:10 PM
It is frustrating for that. Especially with these younger guys being used to going to national events year round. However, if people continue that mentality then the numbers will never grow. People commit and show up, then more will begin to come. But if everyone says i'm not going theres not going to be anyone there. Then yeah, there wont be anyone there.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline Ironman152

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:30:07 PM
David Taylor barely spent any time on the mats this weekend at Pan Am games. He ran through everyone. Should he have just not shown up since he was going to tech and pin everyone? Thats a stupid mentality.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline Ry Mitchell

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:17 PM

. Do you go on the weekends to a tournament knowing there probably wont be any competition or save money and attend a national event out of state or some type of camp? These are questions each wrestlers family will have to decide on their own. Especially our wrestlers striving to wrestle on a national level.

Problem is that most of top guys and programs don’t do this. And to me for the most part NHSCAs don’t count.  Heck we can’t get most of our top guys to go to Super 32 and it is in NC.

We can all agree, a wrestler must seek out good competition to push them to the next level.

We all agree on this.
[/quote]

Offline Ironman152

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:56 AM
Super32 has become extremely difficult to get into.  Have to either be a state placer or place at a early registration tournament, get lucky and make it in during the 30 minute window or spend hella money on the ebay buy in. 

But my original point is if more people start registering, then it makes the numbers grow.  It's a process.  It is expensive, you're preaching to the choir. Were in one of the poorest counties in the state.  But we find a way to make it work.  If the mentality is to not go to our freestyle/greco state championship which is also the qualifier for Fargo which is the biggest tournament in the country because its too easy, then it will never get tougher.  The better kids have to show up.  We need to be sending our best kids to Fargo, we need to be sending our best kids to national duals. Our NCUSA coaches shouldn't have to be calling up people begging them to join our national team so we can field a full team.  It's like 12-16 matches against the best kids in the country. Much better deal than fargo in my opinion.  You can go 0-4 at fargo and spend $1500, or spend $1000 and you still get 12+ matches.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline bgrayii

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 12:19:55 PM
I'm w/ you on the National Duals Teague.  It is something I encouraged greatly as soon as the HS season was over and I'm proud to say I have four Union Pines wrestlers on the Cadet National duals teams. 

Brian Gray

Offline Ironman152

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 02:41:25 PM
This was the first year the tarheel was in Wilson. It had been in chapel hill for the previous couple years which was decently central. And then the state tournament was in greensboro which is as good of a venue as youre going to get.  Do I think it being located in wilson kept some people from coming? Yeah... but at the same time there were still a lot of Western NC kids there and many eastern NC kids werent. I think it will be back in wilson next year because it was a good venue and the town of Wilson sponsored the coaches social get together after the tournament with catering it was a pretty fun time. 

Coaches are just going to have to get on board.  The highest award in wrestling is the olympics. There is nothing higher than being the best wrestler in the world. So why arent we preparing kids for it? At the end of the day it still helps in folkstyle too. If NC wants to be competitive and get their kids noticed they need to wrestle the international styles.  We had a handful of NC guys at the US open this year. Many in greco through the marines, several in freestyle still competing through RTCs. Training there only route to make money wrestling outside of coaching is in International styles. Getting sponsored to train at an RTC and make money wrestling happens by training the international styles.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline Ironman152

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 02:44:50 PM
I'm w/ you on the National Duals Teague.  It is something I encouraged greatly as soon as the HS season was over and I'm proud to say I have four Union Pines wrestlers on the Cadet National duals teams. 

Brian Gray

We've got a couple on the Junior team. 

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High