News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

NFHS Possible Weight Changes coming in 2020-2021 Season

jobelk · 6992

Offline jobelk

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/wrestling/2019/05/piaa-board-of-directors-passes-provision-to-reduce-number-of-wrestling-weight-classes.html

NFHS and the PIAA (Pennsylvania) are looking into reducing the weight classes to 12 and changing a few weights starting in 2020-2021.  This is in the discussion stages now... This will be interesting to how this plays out.

The proposed 12 weight classes would be the following:

110, 118, 125, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 190, 215, 285
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:51:12 AM by jobelk »

Jamie Belk

Piedmont Wrestling

Offline COACHB.II

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:56:35 AM
This is definitely an interesting topic. Of course, one could argue it positively or negatively all day. What we would be looking at is the possibility of less participation, but with the right program in place and right people running that program, it could be sustained. A positive reasoning for this would be the quality of talent and depth at those weight classes. Although, now split squads have entered NC Wrestling's format, this could be a great opportunity to increase the three time a year limit and run 2 teams, continuing to make the talent pool deeper and keep more kids interested in the sport knowing that they would fill two varsity teams. That contradicts my original statement of less interest in the sport, yet I could see many people using that as an argument, hence why I prefaced with that statement. Yet, this is hypothetical, it could actually grow our sport increasing the amount of varsity wrestlers in one school from 14 to 24 with kids battling to get on the 1st team all the while. I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks!

Jake Berrier

Asheboro High School 

Offline bgrayii

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:13:31 AM
It could help the struggling teams and give them a better chance to win duals by forfeiting less wts.  It could limit participation though as there are three fewer varsity positions.  In NC, with the split squad rule we now have, it might be a good thing. 

I was reading twitter posts from Coach Green @SemWrestling last night.  He had some interesting takes, and I wont repeat all but he basically recommends the following to improve HS wrestling:
1) 11 wts for Duals
2) 15 wts for Tournaments
3) Multiple entries allowed in post season

Offline COACHB.II

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:27 AM
I agree, if we can increase the split squad rule and allow multiple split squad teams, we would then increase varsity numbers from 14-24. There are schools that struggle to put full teams together, as far as filling up full dual teams, definitely a positive. But where it will really benefit, is schools who can run 2 deep in every weight class. There are few that can do that all of the way through 14 weight classes, but 12 may make it more manageable. I hope this is considered throughout the course of the next year.

Jake Berrier

Asheboro High School

Offline Coach Carey

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:24:21 PM
I would like 13 weight classes, so we have no true ties. In this proposal, I like the minimum weight class being 110, but I am not a fan of having two weight classes over 200 lbs.  To me, there is much better wrestling depth in the 120 to 140 range and that is where I would like to see the 215 weight class put.

Offline CoachTHensley

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:34 PM
I like removing 106, even though I love watching those guys wrestle. I agree with Coach Carey that there needs to be an odd number of weights instead of an even number. Too many times fans are left confused in a tied match. In the scenario that there is a tie, the team who won 7 of the matches would win the dual.

Even with 14 weights, forfeits could be fixed by simply adding 4 pounds to each weight except for 285. It's a lot easier finding a 110 pounder than a 106.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:37:16 PM by CoachTHensley »

Manteo High School

Offline COACHB.II

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 09:12:08 AM
I understand the idea of an uneven number to break ties of a dual meet, but that is currently not the first thing we look at to determine the victor of the match. If this gets looked at moving forward, I think it would be an easy way to break down the criteria for the parents. Yet we would be moving away from the whole point of changing and reducing the amounts of weight classes. When I say point, I am basing it off of the points we have all made on this thread. Because there has not been any justification made from the State as it is not in effect yet.

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:03 AM
This has nothing to do with lack of participation, especially in Pennsylvania.  There is some other reason for the PIAA to advocate for this.  I can see the benefits from scaling things down, but I don't necessarily support it.  I like 14 weights, and like the current weights better than the proposed weights.  Seems like this is a rule designed to assist the struggling teams more than to develop more competition.  As someone earlier stated with the new split squad rule that will alleviate some of the reduction for those three events, but I'd like really like to see teams have the opportunity to enter more than one kid per weight in the regional.  Perhaps have a sub regional then regional for the top 4 qualifiers from the sub regional. 

Offline COACHB.II

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:18:16 PM
Coach Atwood,

there are most certainly other reasons PIAA are advocating for this rule. I do like your thinking behind your multiple regional entries. I think you have been mentioning that for a while. With that same format, would it allow more than one kid from the same team and the same weight to qualify for states by finishing in the top 4? And would the pre-regional address the winning percentage for the 16 seeds for regionals? So in other words, the top four from a pre-regional regardless of seasonal record would then qualify for regionals. If that's what I'm hearing, I'm on board. I would strongly advocate for that.

Best,

Jake Berrier

Asheboro High School

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 12:31:59 PM
Coach Berrier, my plan would divide the regional into two sub regions.  Each team would be allowed to enter 2 wrestlers per weight, if they qualify within the top 16 seeds (regardless of how seeding criteria is determined).  The top four from the sub regional would advance to the regional, which would be an 8 man bracket without seeding.  It could be paired like the state tournament is now.  The top 4 from the regional would qualify for the state tournament.  If more than 1 wrestler from the same team qualifies then so be it. 

This is what they do in the state of Washington.  There are stories there of teammates wrestling for the state championship in the same weight class.

Offline COACHB.II

Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 12:57:50 PM
I have had similar thoughts. I would back it 100 percent. Personally, I believe it would be a good proposal and a good direction to move in with our sport!

Jake Berrier

Asheboro High School

Offline bgrayii

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 01:55:12 PM
Coach Berrier, my plan would divide the regional into two sub regions.  Each team would be allowed to enter 2 wrestlers per weight, if they qualify within the top 16 seeds (regardless of how seeding criteria is determined).  The top four from the sub regional would advance to the regional, which would be an 8 man bracket without seeding.  It could be paired like the state tournament is now.  The top 4 from the regional would qualify for the state tournament.  If more than 1 wrestler from the same team qualifies then so be it. 

This is what they do in the state of Washington.  There are stories there of teammates wrestling for the state championship in the same weight class.

I like this plan.

Offline Ry Mitchell

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 06:38:38 PM
I would like to see 12 weights.

109 (ish)-  119 (ish) - 125 - 133 - 141 - 149 - 157 - 165 - 174 - 184 - 197 - 285

Offline Coachbean

Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 12:30:13 PM
I don’t really have a problem switching to 12 or staying at 14. I don’t think it will reduce participation if we drop, I actually think it might increase it in a lot of cases. In my experience as a coach a kid is more likely to quit because of getting pummeled due to being put in the varsity lineup before he/she is ready than to quit because he/she doesn’t start. I like the idea of the 12 lining up with the college weights and adding in 2 weights in the 105-110 and 115-120 area if the change is made.  I definitely would prefer not having 2 weights for 200+ wrestlers.

Offline Longdayrunner

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 02:36:55 PM
So it has come full circle.  It wasn't that long ago that High School only had 12 NFHS Weight Classes, starting at 98 lbs. and ending with a truly an unlimited weight class.  The NCHSAA opted to have 13 Weight Classes, based on Coaches' input - a 195 lbs. class.

High School Coaches had difficulty recruiting kids back then to fill 13 weight classes.  Reducing the number of weight classes with not help with the recruiting issues.  Even if the NFHS drops to 10, 11, or 12 Weight Classes, in a few years Coaches will be asking for more Weight Classes to give more kids a chance to wrestle varsity matches.

Kids don't participate in any sport or activity unless they are having fun.  Sometimes fun is measured by wins and losses.  Sometimes fun is measured by the team experience they get by just being part of the wrestling team.