News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

NCHSAA approves changing playoff dates for Dual Team Playoffs starting 20-21

jobelk · 5287

Offline jobelk

NCHSAA
@NCHSAA
#NCHSAABOD Approves adjustment to the Dual Team Wrestling Playoff Calendar 2020-2021. 19-0

Teams will wrestle Saturday / Wednesday / Saturday

1st/2nd Round - Saturday
3rd/ 4th Round - Wednesday
Finals - Saturday

Jamie Belk

Piedmont Wrestling

Offline Russian

With this format, will the 1/2 rounds being on Saturday bump some of the conference tourneys back into the week prior?

Offline jobelk

Some will and others will be canceled all together. 

Jamie Belk

Piedmont Wrestling

Offline Ironman152

Well that seems pretty counter productive... while conference might not be a big deal to some schools. Making all conference in some of these tougher conferences is a big deal to the kids.  Even in not tough conferences, that might be the first patch a kid gets to take home, or put on their letter jacket. 

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High

Offline Fwrogers

You can determine All-Conference without a conference tournament. The conference tournament is an antiquated concept the way our post season is set up. It doesn't help with dual team seeding, and you are wrestling teams you have seen/competed against on multiple occasions at that point in the season with Regionals still to come. In the IMeck we determine all conference at a "seed" meeting where we basically seed what would be the conference tournament and the top 2 seed are automatically all-conference. To cover the kids who maybe didn't wrestle enough conference matches etc.... if you are a state qualifier you also gain all conference status.

Offline Coach Carey

I agree with Tripp. The main reason to go to the Sat, Wed, Sat model was to help with potential weather problems.  Last year was almost a disaster with some teams not able to compete on certain days.  When the new proposal starts, if you are expected to get bad weather on a day of the event, you can potentially move it up or back accordingly. It also helps with teams traveling far distances on multiple occasions within 1 week.
Mike

Offline tompt

I agree with the upside that the duals are a little further apart giving the wrestlers more time to prepare and recover, especial from long travel.
I don't like the impact on the conference tournament. I am still an advocate of a three tier qualification system for the state tournament, and if the conference tournaments are ended that will likely be a big nail in that coffin.
NC is the only state I know if that uses a seeding system, rather than a qualifier, for the regional tournament. California even has four tiers and than has a 33 man state bracket. The current seeding system is highly flawed. And I for one don't think that should be the determiner for a regional event.
Hope fully we can find a work around for the conference tournaments.

Offline Fwrogers

As currently structured the conference tournament is meaningless and with so many split conferences across divisions we are far from that changing. If the conference tournament were a qualifier this would be a moot point and the conference tournaments would need to be after state duals anyway. But with the way our post season is currently determined there is simply no reason to have a conference tournament.

Offline jobelk

You don't have to have the conference tournament the last week before the season ends.  If you want to have an individual tournament with all the teams in your conference, then schedule it for December or early January.  If your kid only gets one or two matches then so be it.  Then you can give whatever awards or patches that you want to give at the end of that tournament.

If coaches want to give up a weekend in December or January with their wrestlers having the opportunity to have 5 plus matches in order to award an individual conference champion in a conference with 6 or 7 teams,  that is their right indeed.

Jamie Belk

Piedmont Wrestling

Offline coachsmithwick

Some conferences(mostly smaller ones) schedule a dual meet tournament in Dec, Jan where all those in the conference wrestle each other. This would open up dates for schools and all conference can be determined from the results. There would have to be 5 teams or less in the conference. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:54:22 PM by coachsmithwick »

Offline Westcoach

What about those of us who don't make the playoffs every year?  We look forward to the conference tournament that the bigger teams seem to feel is "meaningless'.  Shall we just sit at home a little longer waiting for the regionals while the important schools battle it out?

Offline Fwrogers

It can be done a weekend earlier if those conferences want to have one. I don't want to wrestle teams i've seen multiple times already and will see at a minimum one more time at regionals.

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Good or bad this is a schedule I intend to participate in.  Just saying.

Offline Fatdog

Since the Saturday of round 1 & 2  would just be like a less than a double dual, couldn’t conferences hold their conference tournament during that week?

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Fatdog, that definitely fits in the rules.