News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Just an observation...

bgrayii · 1147

Offline bgrayii

on: January 14, 2022, 09:16:43 AM
Parkwood 45 CATA 34

CATA ranked top 5 dual team in the 3A West by NCMat  and top 5 overall 3A Dual team in SEWrestle coaches poll.  Parkwood was not top 10 in either of those polls.  Parkwood was ranked higher than CATA in the rankwrestlers.com 3A Dual team rankings yesterday. 

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 01:13:32 PM
We had Parkwood listed as an HM in the west previously, but dropped them out with the latest update.  I immediately updated the 3A rankings to reflect this result, and I updated the 4A rankings as well after West Forsyth defeated Davie last night. 

As for dropping Parkwood, allow me to explain my reasoning.  First, I thought about keeping them listed until the match with CATA took place, because I knew it was a match they could win.  I didn't, because we were already listing 2 teams more than we want to, and the teams we have listed are just as deserving to be listed as Parkwood.  With Parkwood, however, they lost to Porter Ridge and Weddington.  Porter Ridge finished behind Central Cabarrus by 11 points at the Roughedge Rumble.  Porter Ridge also lost to Union Pines.  In evaluating the Piedmont-Weddington matchup I felt like Piedmont was a little better and Piedmont beat Enka 39-33.  Enka isn't as good as they have been, but are still tough, although their grueling dual schedule may have some believing otherwise.  Not me.  I stayed with CATA because of their tournament team value, but knew I was taking a calculated risk because CATA forfeits too much to be a serious threat in the state duals.  If I had it to do again, I would have kept Parkwood listed as an HM and went with my initial decision to completely drop CATA from the top 10 dual rankings, but had I done that you wouldn't have been able to make this post.  LOL.  But this is why the matches are wrestled.   

There is a method to the madness of rankings  and when I'm conducting research on the teams that are ranked sometimes  I have to go in depth to be able to make a genuine listing of teams that deserve to be listed.   Congratulations to Parkwood on a good win that has now listed them in the 3A top ten.

Offline bgrayii

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 02:09:03 PM
Well, you are doing a way better job than I could do.  It's impossible to get it all right and a bunch of other coaches felt the same as you based on SEWrestle poll.   If I look hard enough I'm sure there will probably be an example just the opposite.   

There's a good one to watch next week.  Lake Norman v Mooresville.  The humans (NCMat and SE Coaches Poll) both have Mooresville 1 spot ahead of Lake Norman.  The Rank computer has Lake Norman one spot ahead. 

And one I'm going to be paying close attention to is UP v Pinecrest.  WRAL's HSOT.com rankings have Pinecrest as the #1 team in the east and the rank computer has Pinecrest ahead of UP as well. 

Offline Coach Atwood

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 11:21:40 PM
Yes, Lake Norman vs Mooresville will be fun to watch provided Lake Norman has made adjustments and/or has their full lineup in action.  If Lake Norman is missing people as they have been the entire season Mooresville will win, but if Lake Norman is at full strength then I believe Lake Norman is favored.  This will be a close match. 

Union Pines and Pinecrest will be the battle of the NC Wrestling Factory as well as the bragging rights for being the county's best.  It will be a great match for sure.  This won't have any implications on the state rankings for either team on NCMAT.