News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

Most Dominate Wrestler of the year

Tapout · 2474

Offline Tapout

on: February 22, 2022, 01:01:20 PM
I considered doing a P4P rankings for the end of season like I did for the Holy Angels but this years state tourney was just too exciting and I thought it rated a (MDW)
Most Dominate Wrestler ranking for the year.

I cant begin to write about MDW prior to mentioning the 4A 132 bracket, this bracket will be hard to beat for many years to come. Eli Murray coming out as the State Champ, could of been MOW just for surviving. The battle for 3rd had a Regional Finals rematch between Kunath vs Blevins. Blevins came into the tourney with a 44-1 record, lost more over the weekend then he did the entire season. Some may say maybe he wrestled a easy schedule, I would say in counter to that is the 132 bracket was beyond loaded and Blevins was in every match. Kunath vs Murray semi was the semi of the tourney going into SV as was the battle for 3rd, Blevins giving Kunath everything he could handle, Kunath with a 5-3 win in SV. Again 4A 132 was worth the price of admission.

Side note: Match ups to look forward too: Hickey Cardinal Gibbons vs Fritz Topsail.  Two quality freshman that go out expecting to win. After watching them wrestle in detail I will have to take Hickey in this match up, both have advance top games but Neutral I give to Hickey and Fritz seemed to struggle on bottom.
Hunter Testa Davie County vs Alex Hopper Laney. Testa moves extremely well on his feet as does Hopper so would make a interesting match up. I will take Testa in this one, Testa if not wrestling Bell never was really even challenged and I believe is a better mat wrestler than Hopper but will be a fun and exciting match.

(MDW) Most Dominate Wrestler of the Year
MDW is based off of quality wins during the year and how dominating those key wins was. With that in mind you can only wrestle who is in front of you so by default maybe one wrestler had the opportunity to wrestle other high ranked opponents while the other did not.

Top 4 MDW:

1. Devon Bell, Laney 182, 42-0
Bell not only pinned the defending State Champ in the finals but did it in a minute, to solidify his "DOMINATING" season. I do feel the top 3 again are interchangeable but Bell had the opportunity to wrestle multiple state champs, multiple state runner ups, and almost the entire top 6 at 182, 195 and pinning 99% of them in the first period. As I reviewed profiles, Bell even pinned 3A 195 state champ in 50 seconds. Having a wrestler like Bell who can get bonus at 82 or 95 along with Samuel at the lower weights is the ticket to Laney's Dual team State Title. I heard around the coliseum that Testa wrestled Bell well in the semis, which I agree but that shows how dominate Bell was this season a 15-4 win for Bell is considered wrestling him well. Bell will excel at the next level due to his aggressive style and athleticism and he reeks of confidence as he walks out on the mat. Campbell got a good one here.

2. Kyle Montoperto, Central Academy 126, 41-0
Montoperto proved he is still  the man to beat with his win over State Champ Marcus Jackson at the Holy Angels. Montoperto completed his season with all bonus point wins and even in the state finals although came away with a 6-1 decision it was never in doubt. Montoperto is one of the most fundamentally sound wrestlers, his baseline defense is solid which makes him almost impossible to score on. This skill set already mastered will serve him well at the next level, look for good things from him at VT.

3. Jeremiah Price, Surry Central, 145, 43-0
Price continues his run to history by winning a 8-2 decision in the finals. Price can score in any position and looks comfortable doing so. Once he has you on the ropes and is wrestling two, three moves ahead the match is basically over and points will rack up quickly. Price had a solid dec win over State Champ Drew Pippen at the Tiger Classic which is why he deserves to make this list. Pippen will give any wrestler fits. Price will excel at the next level due to his willingness to challenge himself as evident competing in college open tourneys during the preseason.

4. Mark Samuel, Laney, 43-1
Samuel would of had a three year undefeated run if it was not for the injury DF in the state dual finals. Samuel is a wrestler that presents many problems as is the case with Hunter Gundry from Cardinal Gibbons seems to not be able to solve the Samuel puzzle.  Samuel creates problems in every position almost impossible to score on and when you do his chain wrestling is unmatched. You can not assume you have scored, if you stop wrestling you will find yourself on your back fighting to survive. Samuel ends his career as a 3X State Champ and looking forward to watching him at the next level.

Honorable mention:
No way can you have any list without listing Eli Murray, as stated winning the 132 bracket deserves special mentioning. Murray just did not have the overall body of work as the above wrestlers.
Luke Kunath in my opinion the best non state champ in the entire state. The kid has one speed and that is attack at all times. His style will translate well at the next level. If a coach had 3-4 Kunath's in your room you would not have to even coach.
Nathan Carnes a man among boys, totally controlled a very athletic Sakarri Morrison in the finals. At no point was Carnes even threaten. Solid win and ending to a great season.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:35:55 PM by Tapout »

Offline OldWrestler

• NC Wrestling
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 01:24:27 PM
Will you please post your identity? And your connection to Laney HS?

Offline Tapout

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 03:23:19 PM
Will you please post your identity? And your connection to Laney HS?

Looks like we have a lot in common, my identity is just a OldWrestler like yourself. My connection to Laney really has no bearing on my opinion or any of my write ups. I’m sure any individual that follows NC high school wrestling would not disagree that Bell and Samuel had a dominate year and that those two were the ticket to Laney’s back to back titles and the dual team title this year.
I’m just a wrestling junky who has an opinion who Yes, graduated from Laney close to 30 years ago when HOF Coach Sewell won Laney’s first title.

Offline Oldman63

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 03:06:50 PM
All in on 4a I see. No love or honorable mentions in other classifications?

Offline Tapout

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 03:38:19 PM

Montaperto is 3A
Price is 2A
Plus 4A was stacked this year, I would say top 4 MDW had a representative from each class outside of 1A again I believe these 4 body of work speaks for itself. As with any list there is always going to be some deserving left off the list.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:40:38 PM by Tapout »

Offline OldWrestler

• NC Wrestling
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 12:20:52 PM
If you are going to post about your kid, don't use an internet alias. Just sayin.

Offline Oldman63

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 02:31:46 PM

Montaperto is 3A
Price is 2A
Plus 4A was stacked this year, I would say top 4 MDW had a representative from each class outside of 1A again I believe these 4 body of work speaks for itself. As with any list there is always going to be some deserving left off the list.

I get it but guess I have a soft spot for the 1a kids that always get left off these lists. Tristan Hale, Ethan Shell, Kage Williams, and Levi Andrews all have some crazy high bonus percentage and winning percentage.

Offline Coach Blevins

• Topsail
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 09:46:00 PM
I can honestly say Ethan definitely didn’t have a light schedule.
He beat 4 of the top 8 going into states during the season.  His only loss going in to States was to Kunath. He closed the gap between regionals and states but not enough for the win. His only other loss was to Fajerman in the semis which he split 1-1 for the season. Ethan may not be the most dominant wrestler but he had the honor and privilege of wrestling in the most dominant weight class this year. Everyone of those who qualified for and competed in the 132 4A bracket were absolute beasts and credit to all of them.  I couldn’t be more proud of him or his teammate Ian Fritz. ( they should get rid of the injury time as we know it btw, those who know, KNOW). 

These two wrestlers didn’t have a coach announced until a couple days before the season started. They had experienced teammates move away. Ethan and Ian chose not to be training partners so they could help others on their team grow.  I say this not as an excuse but rather a statement to their journey this year and what the team meant to them. They had an amazing season along with so many other wrestlers this year.  To be honest we were blessed to even have a season this year and to have 3 great coaches step up last minute was amazing. We take nothing for granted in this sport and appreciate everything. I certainly don’t mind him not being the most dominant this year. Maybe most blessed works. :-)

Offline Coach Blevins

• Topsail
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 12:43:10 PM
And so we are clear my comment on the injury time was directed at Fritz run in the tournament and it’s use in one of his matches.