News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

4A Team State Title Race

Tapout · 3048

Offline bwilk152

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 02:56:55 PM
Jtutterow

I just posed a question never said anything about Laney winning it all and about competition, Laney or any team cannot control who they wrestle at regionals you can only wrestle who is in front of you.
With that said winning regionals by 146 and putting 10 in the finals is a beat down no matter how you slice it. Speaking of bonus points how do you think 239.9 points were put on the board?
Now back to the originals post about the team race.

I answered your second question you asked if Laney had scored more than anyone else. My point was old school Parkland I am sure put up more than that because regionals were full without byes and they got bonus points from their kids.
[/quote

Exactly bonus points!!!!! Can you imagine the score without the bye’s again 239.5 points that is bonus points galore, what is your point?

That was my point...
Parkland holds the record with 270 points in an individual regional and each kid had a full bracket and got bonus points. Also they qualified 14 to the state tournament that year. Could I imagine Laney doing that yes. They would have scored more than they did with consolations but probably not much more.  Not enough to take the record.

If you want to continue the Parkland/ Laney debate start another thread this is about 4A team race or maybe focus on getting your 2 qualifiers on the podium.

I didn't read Tutterrow's post as a debate about who is better but stating the importance of bonus points. In addition, he answered one of your questions about most points scored at regionals. Were you specifically speaking about the 4A East? But saying that Hough was battle-tested and not Laney would be doing Laney a disservice for the dominance they have in their region unless you were suggesting that they were, and words are often misconstrued through text. The idea was not saying who is better between Laney and Parkland. That might be a good topic as well. But to give Laney their flowers, they deserve to be in the race and team champs. But it's a great topic to get people speaking on the forum, and I hope you have some on the podium as well if you’re a coach.

Brandon Wilkins

Offline Tapout

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 03:27:45 PM
A normal year - Hough would easily repeat.  They have many guys that would be in the top 4, most guys top 6.  Now with the brackets like they are and single elimination, you have top guys going at it from the quarters, which will put one out to no longer earn points again.  So you have to look at how many guys will a team have in the finals and is that enough to counter Laney having so many kids qualify and potentially scoring points early.  My guess is that Laney will fizzle fast but go ahead with a big lead, then it is a catch-up game for everyone else. In some cases, it was better to get 3rd than 1st or 2nd coming out of a region, that is never the case except for this year.

High Probability of Champs
Hough - 3
Laney- 2
Pinecrest - 2
LKN - 2

So it is open for the taking.  I believe there will be 1-2 upsets that will win or lose the tournament for a team. That's it 1-2 critical matches in the quarters or Semi's.

Totally agree, 145 match ups and 160 match ups are key for a lot of teams and 170 has the number 1and 2 ranked kids according to NCMAT going at it first round.

Offline Tapout

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 03:36:12 PM
Laney has the advantage based on numbers, but they aren't a lock.  They will have to perform in the weights outside of Samuel, Harrison, Johnson, and Bell (170) in order to win the team race.  They have tough matches prior to the semis they must win to put themselves in position. 

The same for Northwest Guilford.  They should have two champs at 132 and 145, but have tough 1st or QF draws at all other weights. 

The team to watch in the team race is Gibbons.  I see them getting to the semis at 120, 132, and 170.  If they win in their tough QF matchups at 113 and 138 they will be in good position to make a run.  If they get all five in the finals I think they would win it at that point. 

Lake Norman should have two champs at 195 and 220, but have tough matches to win everywhere else to get those wrestlers on the podium. 

Should be a good show for those in attendance.

I agree numbers will be key and if any teams can score bonus points in QF

Offline Tapout

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 03:39:01 PM
Jtutterow

I just posed a question never said anything about Laney winning it all and about competition, Laney or any team cannot control who they wrestle at regionals you can only wrestle who is in front of you.
With that said winning regionals by 146 and putting 10 in the finals is a beat down no matter how you slice it. Speaking of bonus points how do you think 239.9 points were put on the board?
Now back to the originals post about the team race.

I answered your second question you asked if Laney had scored more than anyone else. My point was old school Parkland I am sure put up more than that because regionals were full without byes and they got bonus points from their kids.
[/quote

Exactly bonus points!!!!! Can you imagine the score without the bye’s again 239.5 points that is bonus points galore, what is your point?

That was my point...
Parkland holds the record with 270 points in an individual regional and each kid had a full bracket and got bonus points. Also they qualified 14 to the state tournament that year. Could I imagine Laney doing that yes. They would have scored more than they did with consolations but probably not much more.  Not enough to take the record.

If you want to continue the Parkland/ Laney debate start another thread this is about 4A team race or maybe focus on getting your 2 qualifiers on the podium.

I didn't read Tutterrow's post as a debate about who is better but stating the importance of bonus points. In addition, he answered one of your questions about most points scored at regionals. Were you specifically speaking about the 4A East? But saying that Hough was battle-tested and not Laney would be doing Laney a disservice for the dominance they have in their region unless you were suggesting that they were, and words are often misconstrued through text. The idea was not saying who is better between Laney and Parkland. That might be a good topic as well. But to give Laney their flowers, they deserve to be in the race and team champs. But it's a great topic to get people speaking on the forum, and I hope you have some on the podium as well if you’re a coach.

No issues, like you said good to get the conversation flowing, going to be a interesting weekend.