News

Welcome - We are looking a new ways to improve the forum.  More to come soon!!!   We are making some changes to the forum.  These upgrades/adds may or could cause issues for logging in.  If you have any problems, please email

admin@ncwrestlingscoutreport.com

In order to run wrestling events quicker, why don't Officials enforce Rule 7.3?

Longdayrunner · 1372

Offline Longdayrunner

You see this all the time, Wrestlers properly report to the scoring table and then tie their shoes, put on their headgear, pull up their knee pad(s), run/walk to the 10 foot circle then run back to their coaches corner and/or go to the center of the mat and then go to another part of the mat to pray or get their mind right.  If these actions of the Wrestlers adds one to three minutes of time to each match, think about working a tournament where each mat may have 60 to 80 matches assigned to it during a day.

I wish Officials would enforce rule 7.3 and/or enforce it consistently to move the matches along.  If you are unfamiliar with all of Rule 7.3, read the Case Book attached pages.

Thoughts?

Offline ncref

• Anytown
It should be called/enforced. These items are covered in my pre-meet with the teams, coaches and captains. In a dual/tri/quad, if I see a wrestler make a move towards the table, but not yet there,  not ready, I'll tell him/her to stay by the bench and get whatever issue fixed (headgear snapped is the most common). Usually this happens only once as the coach catches wind of what I am getting after and makes sure his team is ready go.
Tournaments are a little bit of of a different animal. Often space is at a premium so the difference between the warm up area/bench and the table may be a step or two. So, common sense applies here but I do not let a wrestler come out on the mat unless he/she are ready. I'll just tell them to stand by the table and call them on the mat when they are good to go.
If there were two to three minute delays, I would address that with the coach in between matches and if not rectified, penalize accordingly. If its just because they lost track of what match was next, or sharing headgear, or its a tight space, then I will usually give the benefit of the doubt to the wrestler and address it with the coach. I'd much prefer the match is won or lost on the mat, but if it becomes egregious, then the penalties are there to help move things along.

Offline Jmurray5152

• Lake norman
When it stops costing more to watch my kids wrestle on a weekend than it does to watch a professional basketball team in person they will stop stretching tournaments out so parents have to buy additional days tickets.

Or don’t try to run, JV, Women’s and men’s all at the same time.

We have refs in this state that everyone already knows are fan boys of certain head coaches. You really want to encourage them to suck up to those coaches more and hit other teams with points ?
People  can’t call kids out and say they need to wrestle matches hurt and not take ff after a grueling tournament then whine that you had to sit and watch or coach too long.

Offline Jmurray5152

• Lake norman
Here’s my suggestion to running a faster tournament

Run one tournament at a time, not 3.

Start each tournament with an announcement, we are running this tournament in honor of person x, we only charges you $10 dollars today but if you have anything extra to donate please see the head table or desk and explain the charity. Then say will  do our best to get everyone out of here as quickly as possible, if you appreciate us not having dead mats, not having long breaks for lunch, if you appreciate us running this smoothly, if you appreciate us finding good knowledgeable refs drop an extra couple bucks on the donation jar on your way out.

Offline ncref

• Anytown
Good perspectives.
Two quick points.
1) Officials don't run the tournament, the host school does. We are just calling matches. When each round starts, who goes to what mat, how many mats, how many teams...that's all up to the host school. We just call the bout on the mat.

2) 1 or 2 minutes here or there for per match may add up, but that is not the what makes tournaments drag on, in my experience. Some delays are for the "45 minute rule" (no, the coach can't "waive" it...neither can the parents....neither can the wrestler). The biggest delays, in my experience, comes from lunch breaks, and/or breakfast breaks. I've been to tournaments where we have waited over 2 hrs from (the last team) weigh ins to start with the same length for lunch breaks.

I thing the biggest fix is to pay officials hourly. Put us on the clock from 15 minutes before the scheduled weigh-ins to 15 minutes after that last match; fine teams for not showing up on time for weigh ins....That will move things along.

Offline Ironman152

Length of events is an issue. I don't have a perfect solution. However, just my .02 is that being able to run multiple events in one tournament makes life easier on coaches and makes more wrestling possible. Is it great for fans and parents. No. Again theres not an easy solution. The goal of in season high school athletics however is to get kids competing. Keep them busy, attempt to make them better people in the process. We as coaches can't impact every kid if we are forced to send kids to 3 different events. I don't remember the exact figure but the cost to travel is damn near like $1.50 per mile. So even if it was possible for wrestling to get access to more than 1 bus. The cost then doubles just for travel alone. Not to mention entry fees. Holy Angels for example, yes was long as heck. 3 events. It drug on. I have heard they plan on moving to a larger venue next year which should speed things up.

But if I can get 25+ kids a match varsity/jv/girls all together then thats what i'm going to have to do. It is not feasible to send multiple coaches to different venues so kids can wrestle. And if they arent getting to compete then they have zero incentive to keep wrestling.

Teague Little

Lumberton Senior High